Here is our latest LC playlist that we listen at the office. Enjoy!
Why do people listen to music in the office?
Here are the top 10 reasons, according to academic research:
- Relaxation: “calms me down”, “eases stress”, “soothing”
- Concentration: “improves my ability to focus on what I am working on”
- Affect management: “helps me to remain positive”
- Block out distractions: “helps me concentrate, especially when someone else is in the office, or talking on the phone, or having a meeting in my office”
- Create variation: “I couldn’t work without it. It would just be a nightmare. Too tedious a job, inputting all day.”
- Helps to think about something else: “If music was not my distraction, then something else would be, i.e. something unproductive such as fiddling with papers or gazing out of the window”
- For entertainment: “It keeps me company when there isn’t anyone else around”
- Because they enjoy it: “I feel more comfortable, it makes things more enjoyable, therefore I feel better about doing it, I guess. I suppose, in a nutshell, I just like it.”
- Makes time go quicker: “it just helps the day to go on. It would be a long day without it.”
- Lifts energy: “I feel a physical feeling of almost elation.”
Source: Haake, A.B. (2011) Individual music listening in workplace settings: an exploratory survey of offices in the UK. Musicae Scientiae, 15 (1)